We've got all the details on the latest firmware version for your smartphone right here...
GLOBAL – Today is a good day for owners of the first generation of Symbian^3 devices – the Nokia N8, C7, C6-01 and E7. The promised Symbian Anna software update is ready and downloads will begin to be available today. The update includes new icons, a portrait QWERTY keyboard, faster web browsing and better maps. All the details after the break.
What’s in it?
Lots. Let’s break down the main changes section-by-section. There are the new icons, of course, but there’s a whole lot more under the hood.
Improved text input
- There’s a portrait QWERTY keyboard for fast, single-handed typing.
- There’s also a split-screen view while you’re typing, so you can see the web pages, forms and message threads you’re replying to.
- The browser is easier to use and faster, and offers better compliance with recent standards.
- Ovi Maps now has a simpler and quicker search function.
- It also includes public transport routes.
- And you can check in to social networks, send emails and SMS messages sharing your location.
- Email improvements include full meeting request support.
- Hardware-accelerated encryption of your phone’s data for true business-grade security.
- Secure intranet access for business users who need IPSEC and SSL VPN enablers.
[ hana-code-insert ] 'promo1' is not found
- Symbian Anna also activates the NFC hardware in the Nokia C7, for easy sharing, games, use with NFC-enabled accessories and reading NFC tags on other items.
- Flashlite 4, Java Runtime 2.2, Qt Mobility 1.1 and Qt 4.7 bring things up-to-date for developers.
How do I get it?
The Symbian Anna update will be available through Ovi Suite on the PC or the SW Update app on your phone. This is a large download, so for speed and reliability, the Ovi Suite method is best. We do not recommend that you attempt to update over-the-air unless you have a strong and reliable WiFi connection.
Where and when?
Countries that will receive their updates this week include the following:
Belgium, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Finland, Germany, India, Indonesia, Kuwait, Norway, Poland, Russia, Sweden, Thailand, UAE, the UK, and more
Other countries are mostly confirmed for the next three weeks.
Enjoy your newly-refreshed phone, Symbian^3 users. And there’s more to come…