The People Hub is at epicentre of your social experience on the Nokia Lumia. This is the place where you’ll find all your contacts and their numbers, emails and addresses.
However, it’s much more than just an address book. The People Hub fully integrates popular social networks, such as Twitter and Facebook, so you can easily see what everyone has been getting up to.
A long-standing feature of People Hub is Groups, where you can add filter through all your contacts to see just a chosen few. It might be your closest friends, family, colleagues or the people you play football with.
Once created, you can pin the Group to your Start screen for quick access, message or email everyone simultaneously and see their latest social network updates too.
If you have a lot of people in your Contacts Hub, then you’ll find Groups a really useful feature.
On Windows Phone 8 this social experience has been enhanced further with the addition of Rooms.
A Room is an invitation-only only part of your Nokia Lumia 920, Lumia 820 or Lumia 620 where you can privately share your photos, videos, calendar, location and notes with other members.
All the members of a Room can chat with each other too.
When you’re initially setting up the Room, every member that you invite will receive a text message with a link to join the group.
Difference between Rooms and Groups
Rooms differ from Groups because it is an interactive space where content is shared and everyone can make changes.
In a Group no content is shared between the members – it is only a way for you organise your contacts.
You don’t need to notify people and they don’t need to take any action to join the Group – unlike in Rooms.
Setting up Rooms
Setting up Rooms on your Windows Phone 8-powered Lumia smartphone is simple to do.
- In the People Hub swipe across until you come to the Together screen
- Tap + at the bottom of the screen, and then select Room
- Type a name for your Room and press save
- Add the people that you wish to invite to the Room by tapping + and then selecting them from the list.
- If the contact you’ve selected has more than one phone number listed, you’ll be asked which one you want to use for the text invite
- When you’ve added all the members, press the Done ‘tick’ icon.
Members won’t appear in your Room until they’ve clicked on the text message link. Think of it as their acceptance of your Room invite. Members will then have the Room set up for them in the People Hub on their phone too.
When all the members have joined, then you’re all ready to start using the Room!
NB. Although Rooms work best when everyone is on Windows Phone 8 – many of the features work across all phones.
Each Room you create can be pinned to your Start screen for easy access.
Inside each Room you’ll see a screen for each of the following:
- The members – Send an email to everyone in the Room
- Chat – Group chats and current location sharing
- Calendar – Everyone can see and make changes to the calendar
- Photos – Everyone can see photos and videos that have been added
- Notes – Shared notes can be created, edited or deleted
Carrying out any of these tasks will be extremely familiar to all Windows Phone users.
However, you need to remember that rather than sending a message or a photo to one person – you are sending it to everyone in the Room. Always keep this in mind!
Editing a Room
If you are the original creator of a Room – ‘the owner’ – then you can:
- Invite new members: Go to Room > Members > + > select contact
- Remove members: Room > Members > Select contact > Remove
- Rename the room: Room > Members > More … > Rename
- Delete the Room altogether: Room > Members > More … > Delete Room
If you’ve joined a Room that was set up by someone else then you can leave the Room by tapping the Room, going to Members and select Leave Room.
Rooms are simple to create, use and edit. They’re a great addition to Windows Phone 8 and underlines once again why we think your new Lumia device is the best social smartphone in the world.